Backup, disaster recovery and emergency communications for small businesses
Communications with your customers and clients are an essential part of
your business, so how will you cope in an emergency if your business'
communications fail? Workmen may dig up your cables, your office could
be flooded out or broken in to and cellular communications can be
disrupted. The list is endless.
One solution to your Business Continuity requirements might be to install a High Speed Satellite Broadband Internet terminal and a router that can switch between communications circuits automatically from Simply Balanced.
How does it work?
Under normal conditions your telephone and internet communications are carried over your ADSL telephone line. In the event that the line develops a fault you may lose both your telephone and your data communications.
The failure is detected by the router which automatically switches your internet connection to the secondary circuit and routes your communications via a broadband internet satellite circuit. The router will monitor the primary circuit and revert back to it once the fault has been cleared.
Telephone communications can be catered for using Skype* or IP telephones+. One advantage of these technologies are that they are available which ever circuit you are using and can offer substantial call savings in some circumstances.
+IP telephones use VoIP technologies that allow telephone use on the internet. Using an IP telephone is just like using an ordinary telephone; you can make calls to UK landline, mobile and international numbers and you can have a geographic number to receive calls from landline and mobile numbers
*Skype is a software application that allows users to make voice calls over the Internet using a headset attached to their computer. Calls to other users within the Skype service are free, while calls to both traditional landline telephones and mobile phones can be made for a fee using a debit-based user account system. Skype has also become popular for its additional features which include instant messaging, file transfer, and video conferencing. The network is operated by a company called Skype Limited, headquartered in Luxembourg and partly owned by eBay.
What about our eMail?
There are a number of ways in which you email could be processed. You could access your ISP's email server using their own internet portal, use one of the many "free" webmail providers on the internet or purchase a more secure web mail package.
SBBS can help you prepare your business continuity and emergency recovery plans
This page can only give you a flavour of the possibilities. SBBS has many years of experience in preparing business continuity and emergency communications plans for industry and can help you to develop your response to the risk assessment scenarios you identify.
Simply Balanced can provide permanent and temporary satellite, voice and IP solutions tailored to your requirements; we will be happy to discuss your Business Continuity Management requirements with you.
Points to bear in mind
- The traditional "corded" telephone connected directly to a BT exchange will normally continue to function during a power cut however telephones and exchange or switch systems requiring a mains power supply may not.
- The technologies referred to require electricity, so your disaster recovery plan should make allowances for providing power from a generator or Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) in the event of a power cut.
- The voice quality on internet/VoIP communications can vary.
- SBBS can help you prepare your business continuity and emergency recovery plans. Some calls are carried free, others incur charges. We will discuss your traffic requirements with you and help you to determine these costs.
- Telephone calls may be free or low cost, your bandwidth isn't. We will discuss your traffic requirements with you and help you to determine these costs.
About Simply Balanced Broadband Satellite Internet:We have been involved with satellite communications since its inception. So, when it comes to providing communications in remote areas we know what we are doing and we've been doing it successfully for more than 25 years, from ships and oil rigs far out at sea to distant desert locations.